Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Ridzuan Story


It is back to school for everyone...back to your own corners, filled with mundane chores and boring things to do. Sometimes, we are tempted to give up when we face hopeless kids. Well, I always remember Ridzuan, my student. If I had given up on him, he would not be where he is today. I still remember the first time I saw him. He was sleeping when I entered the class and refused even to get up to look at me when I tried to wake him. He reeked of rubber tapping 'cologne'. And I realised that was why he was sleeping. He had to help his mum in the rubber estate. I noticed that he had no socks and his shoes were torn. His bag was almost empty. After endless tries, he woke up one day when the class was enjoying a funny moment with me. That was the beginning of our special relationship. We had something in common. We shared a sense of humour. He started to stay awake more and more in my class. I continued to encourage him, humouring his antics. He began to do my work and paid attention. I gave him exercise books, pens and pencils. The rest of the class was amused with what I was doing. I even celebrated his birthday once. He told me years later that it was the first time in his life he had a cake. Of course, there were days when I got mad with him but we always come around. A year later, he managed to get a credit in English for SPM. We lost contact after that. A few years later, I saw a newspaper cutting on my table. There was a photograph with a caption, Best Cadet. It was Ridzuan, receiving his award for the best cadet....I had goose bumps, looking at him in his smart uniform, far from his sleepy days at school. He is now an officer, married with a child. I am so glad I did not give up on him and I hope this story will inspire all of you to soldier on no matter how difficult it is. Of course, after Ridzuan, there were many other Ridzuans and there will be many more.
You may never know the lives you will change or destroy just by not doing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment